After all the indulgences of the Christmas holidays we are looking at how we can have a healthier diet, our dogs can benefit from this too!
Making your own dog treats gives you the confidence that you know what your dog is eating and you know there are no un-necessary additives, colourings and E numbers.
Sardine Cake is one of our favourite and most used recipes for dog treats, we use them a lot in our Dog Training Classes as well as when we are working with Bailey and Queg. The dogs cant resist the fishy smell and a little taste goes a long way making them both economical and healthy. THey make perfect treats for clicker training as they can be cut into tiny pieces and are very soft.
This recipe is very easy to make and takes very little time.
‘Dog Days’ Sardine Cake
400gm tin of sardines/mackerel or pilchards
1. Mix well by hand or in a food processor, you can add some garlic or herbs for extra flavour.
2. Place on a baking tray and press down well, cook on a medium heat for about 20 minutes until firm. Alternatively you can use a silicone tray and microwave on full power for about 5 minutes.
3. When cool cut into cubes and store in the fridge or freezer.
As you can see we made lots of Sardine Cake to give to all the puppies and dogs in our classes before Christmas.
If your dog, like the rest of us, has over-indulged over the Christmas holiday then this recipe might be useful to replace their normal shop bought biscuits/treats.
Low Fat Cream Cheese Biscuits
2oz Porridge Oats
3oz Cottage cheese
2oz Stewed Apples (No sugar)
1. Add all the ingredients into a food processor and mix well
2. Knead into a dough and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness
3. Cut into shapes and bake for 20 minutes
These biscuits keep for ages in an airtight tin especially if you keep them in the fridge.