Long Preston & Langber Lane
1. Begin from the small green opposite the Maypole pub. Walk away from the A65, turn left into Green Gate Lane and follow it out of the village. ignore a track on the right next to a small plantation and take the next one on the right, known as New Pasture Lane.
2. At New Pasture Plantation follow the path downhill to cross Long Preston Beck by a wooden footbridge. On the other side go through a gate and follow the obvious course of the path uphill, eventually aiming for a gate in a long wall ahead. Follow this path round the edge of Bookil Gill to cross the beck with care at stepping stone. From here, follow the path to join Langber track.
3. Turn sharp right to follow the metalled lane. Walk past Bookilber Barn and continue along the unmade part of teh old green road, extremely water-logged after rain.
4. Take a stile on the right. There is no obvious path but angle to the right. Cross a fence stile and continue on roughly the same contour to a wall stile. Cross a beck and aim to the left of power cables. Cross more wall stiles following the same course, cut across the corner of a boggy field to another stile, and with a wall on your right go along a field edge. Aim to the left of an old walled reservoir and cross a bridge.
5. On the other side of the beck join a track called Scalehaw Lane. Follow it past Hewitt House and turn right at a junction on the edge of Long Preston. Follow the lane past the school to arrive back at the village green.
Walked here before? Let us know what you thought of the walk – comment below